What does it mean and how can it benefit you?
The Open Profile option means that you can send the recruiter (or anyone else with a Premium Account who has opted to be an Open Profiler, a free pop-up message even if you aren’t connected to them. (Otherwise, with the free, basic LinkedIn account, you have to buy the ability to send an InMail message to a non-connection, or upgrade to a Job Seeker or Job Seeker Plus account to send such messages -- see the paid options in this graphic)
- Locate a person with the Premium Account symbol.
- Look to see if his/her profile says Message NAME (If it says "Send NAME A message", you usually have to pay to send them a message.
- Complete the Open Profile message template and then send.
Options to avoid paying or upgrading to send InMails
- Invite people to connect and include in your message the reasons for your invitation. While sending invitations is free, you may need to know his or her email address (Learn how to find email addresses)
- Seek out and invite people with “Open Networker,” “LION” (LinkedIn Open Networker) or big numbers after their name, such as “13,000+.” Such wording indicates that the person is willing to accept all invitations. Many recruiters are open networkers. Even though people state that they are willing to accept invitations, customize your invitation message to let them know why you want to connect. (Learn how to invite strangers to connect ) (Finding recruiters)
- Send a “Get Introduced” message to the person through your network instead of an InMail message. People with a free account can send up to five Get Introduced messages per month. (Learn how)
- Join LinkedIn groups where your target people are likely members. I’ll talk next time about how to find groups with the people you want to reach.
The bottom line: Reach out to Open Profile recruiters or purchase/upgrade to send InMail messages to non-connections! -- Kathy
Look to us for expert services and support!
We provide training and services for job seekers, new grads and students including:
- Expert resume creation / optimization
- Expert LinkedIn profile creation / optimization
- Career coaching
- Job interview preparation
- Group/class LinkedIn training
- Group/class career training (resumes, applying online, etc.)
- Individual LinkedIn training
- Recruiter reach services to connect top recruiters to you
To learn more or to get started, visit Services or contact Sue at 847-606-5160 or susanATwiseru.com