|Error-free job application|
materials are a MUST!
Obviously the job seeker had used the same cover letter for both companies and had neglected to change the company name. And while he gave the recruiter a good laugh, he didn’t land the Enterprise job because he had not been careful with his messaging to the company.
Writing cover letters and resumes is hard and exacting work! And re-entering the same information into some of those maddening online job forms can lead to typos, poor formatting, and other problems ... that are entirely fixable if you are careful.
To avoid costly mistakes in your job-search messaging:
- Proof your copy every time. Pay particularly close attention to any last minute changes.
- Make sure you have correctly typed the contact person’s name and title.
- Run spell check.
- Have someone read your correspondence.
- Make sure have attached the documents you intended to attach. (Don’t you hate when you forget that?)
- Improve your grammar and punctuation by visiting the many free sites dedicated to help you do just that. Syntaxis offers an excellent, free grammar quiz that you can take and retake until you can answer all of the questions correctly.
Proof your materials … after all … a well-done resume and cover letter can help you Get a Job!
What ideas do you have about this subject? Please share your comments. If I can be of help to you, let me know via Contact Us or invite me to connect on LinkedIn. -- Kathy
Like what you've learned?
Receive Getajobtips.com by email or RSS feed and benefit from our services! Also register for our free Wednesday webinars (See the right navigation bar for upcoming webinars).