|Use the "Ask for an introduction" feature to get |
introduced to the hiring manager at your target company.
Here's how to use it find the right person at the right company:
- Log onto LinkedIn and then click the Advanced link at the top of any page.
- Select the People option on the left navigation bar.
- Type the target company name in the Company box and the target person's probable title in the Title box. Choose "current" in the Current or Past box to view only current employees.
- If it is a company with multiple locations and you seek a local employee, add the company's local zip code into the postal code box.
- Add keywords, such as "accounting" in the Keywords box (optional) to fine-tune your search.
- Click Search.
|Find the right person by using LinkedIn's Advanced People Search.|
Step 2: Find the right 2nd degree within the search results. Click the person's picture or name to visit his/her profile.
Note: You can't reach a 3rd degree connection through the "Ask for an introduction" feature. To reach a 3rd degree connection, invite him/her to connect (free, but customize your message), join a LinkedIn group that he/she is in and send a message to the person through the group (free - see instructions below), or send an InMail message (premium account required, unless the person is an Open Profiler -- you can send them messages for free.
|Use Advanced People Search to find the name and title of the probable boss for the position that you want.|
Who should be your target recipient? (Best preferences, in order)
- The likely boss of the open position
- That person's boss or the division or department leader
- The company CEO, particularly if it is a small company
- The in-house recruiter (although you may want to go around him/her)
- Any person at the target company if you cannot find the target recipient
Step 3: Choose your best mutual connection to the target person. You can do so by finding the "How You're Connected" section on the lower right portion of your target person's profile. If the person shown, for example, Tom E., isn't the best person to introduce you, click the more tab and choose a different mutual connection to introduce you.
A box will pop up (linking you to your LinkedIn Messaging Center) that will allow you to type a new name into the To: box. Remove the original name from the To: box and from the automated message. You can customize your message to your connection, but don't remove the target recipient's LinkedIn profile address and don't put anything in the message that you don't want your intended recipient to see.
Once your message has been sent, your connection can forward your message to your target person or decline to send it. If they decline, you will receive a notice as to why they didn't send it so that you can fix the reason, or choose a different person to introduce you to the target person.
For best results, ask your 1st degree connection before sending him/her an "Ask for an introduction" message.
Get introduced wording
Inviting people to connect
Inviting recruiters to connect and what to say
Messaging a person in a LinkedIn group
If you are in a LinkedIn group with the intended recipient, you don’t have to go through a 1st degree connection. Simply contact the target person directly through the group.
- Click Interests at the top of your home page and then select Groups.
- Click the group's name from your list of groups.
- Click the number of members link.
- Type the person's name into the group's Search box to find the person's name in the list.
- Hover over the person's entry and then click the Send message icon.
- Create your message and click Send Message.
WiserU provides LinkedIn and career training and services including:
- Individual LinkedIn training (for career or business)
- Group LinkedIn training targeted for your group's needs (job search, sales, marketing, recruiting, fundraising, etc.)
- Group career training (resumes, networking, applying online, etc.)
- Expert LinkedIn profile creation / optimization
- Expert resume creation / optimization
- Recruiter reach services to connect top recruiters to you
- Career coaching
- Social media coaching for businesses
- Job interview preparation
To learn more or to get started, visit Services or contact Susan at 847-606-5160 or email@example.com.
Launch your career!
Are you a recent college grad trying to land your first "real" job (or know someone who is)? Access the WiserU Career System to transform your chances of landing a high-paying, meaningful career!
It's web-based system I created that walks you through the 10 major career steps -- from figuring out what you want to do to excelling on the job -- so you'll know EXACTLY how to land a good job and command the pay that you deserve. The system even includes resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile templates and salary negotiation scripts so that you know PRECISELY what to do and say every step of the way.
Want web-based AND individual help? Save with our WiserU Career System / Career Coaching & Services packages!
Get started with the WiserU Career System today!